Other download options
The latest stable version of OpenSesame is 2.9.7 Hesitant Heisenberg, released on Aug 6, 2015 (release notes).
Windows XP / Vista / 7
There are a number of ways to run OpenSesame under Windows:
- Use the automated installer (see link above). After installation, you can run OpenSesame from the start menu.
- Download the Windows portable .zip file (see link above) and extract it to a location of your choice.
- Download the WinPython-based package, which comes with a slightly different set of modules and offers more flexibility for advanced users. For more information, see this article.
Ubuntu/ Debian/ Linux Mint
To add the Cogsci.nl PPA to your software sources and install OpenSesame, run the following commands in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:smathot/cogscinl sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install opensesame
If you experience missing icons, please install the package
sudo apt-get install gnome-icon-theme-full
Instructions for adding NeuroDebian to your software sources can be found on the NeuroDebian website. Once you have done this, you can install OpenSesame by running the following commands in a terminal:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install opensesame
We are looking for someone to improve and maintain the Mac OS packages for OpenSesame!
Support for Mac OS is experimental. Instructions for running OpenSesame from source on Mac OS can be found here.
The latest version of the OpenSesame app has been composed on OS X Yosemite (10.10). Initial tests have shown that the app also appears to run well on Mavericks (10.9). If you experience problems starting or using the app when you have an OS X version older than Mavericks, we recommend you to upgrade to a newer version of OS X (after all, Mavericks and Yosemite are both free) or use one of the older releases of OpenSesame for Mac.
A caveat of the OpenSesame app is that the multiprocess implementation is not yet working (this does work well if you run OpenSesame from source). We hope to have this fixed in one of the next releases, but for now you will have to stick to the inprocess runner (go to http://osdoc.cogsci.nl/miscellaneous/runners/ to see what this means).
Older versions can be found here:
- OpenSesame 0.27.4 64bit (without Psychopy backend)
- OpenSesame 0.27.4 32bit (including PsychoPy backend)
- OpenSesame 0.26 (should run on OS X versions (< 10.8))
For other OS X versions of OpenSesame refer to http://www.cogsci.nl/dschreij/opensesame-mac/.
If there are no packages provided for your platform, you will need to run OpenSesame from source, as per these instructions.